Sunday, January 18, 2009

I SURVIVED THE ROUTEBURN!!!!!!!!!!

You should probably look up the Routeburn hiking track if you have never heard of it. It's slightly INSANE. 3 days of hiking up/on/down a mountain...a very steep sided mountain by the way. Especially the second day where we were up above the tree line (about 4000 feet) in the wind and rain (brr...i know i know it's 30 below at home...but damp and cold isn't pleasant, but I'll take it over the weather at home) when a foot to the right of the trail the mountain drops off really sharply is a little nerve racking. One false move (especially with how graceful I am) could take you right down the mountain...ouch! But we all survived fine, a little wet and cold, but no worse for the wear! Some of the most spectacular views I have ever seen in my life! Definitely made the moments where I was asking myself what I was thinking when I signed up for the trip (aka along the ridge in the wind and cold on the steep mountain for 4 hours the second day) worth it! The huts we stayed in are nice, minus being in a room with a lot of snorers, and no showers....or electricity...I was defintely glad for a shower and laundry facilities today. We were all a little rank...
Today once we got off of the trail we headed up to queenstown (a pretty big very touristy town, with lots of adventure opportunities) and grabbed a bite of lunch, and I booked my horse trek for Tuesday which I am very excited about. On the way up to Wanaka (where we will rock climb tomorrow) we stopped at AJ Hackets bungy jumping where 3 of the girls bungy jumped on the bridge which was the very first bungy site in the world! I was tempted...but not enough to actually go.
So I'm safe and sound off the routeburn! Having fun! Missing home, all of you, and especially my horse! More soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hiking on a ridge with wind...sounds like you are practicing for mountaineering. I am sure that Hannah could help you out with the rock climbing. Gary says that Red Stripe has improved their case material ;^)

    ReplyDelete