Thursday, January 22, 2009

Free Internet Halelujah!!

Wow, finally found a place that offers free unlimited internet! Most of the time I've had to pay a few dollars for about 20 minutes of internet, not enough to write a decent blog post, let me tell you! But evidently the Aussies are a bit more generous with internet than the Kiwis!
Anyway, here's the scoop!
We arrived safely in Brisbane Australia 2 days ago after flying from Queenstown, NZ to Christchurch, NZ to Brisbane. We then got our vans, loaded up our backpacks, and headed out for a several hour drive to Byron Bay, in New South Wales, Australia. We got in about 10:00PM, which felt like 1AM ish New Zealand time. We were all pretty much ready to hit the sack, but went out to grab some food, then we went to bed. It's amazing how much of the time everyone's been asleep about 11, I guess all the physical activity is wearing us out, plus we're getting up about 8:30 every morning, so that's a pretty good sleep schedule I guess.
Anyway, we woke up the next morning for our first surfing lesson! We were picked up by these hippie surfer guys and went out to a beach where they taught us safety stuff and the basics of getting up on a surf board. Then we hit the water! Literally....
Actually I wasn't half bad, I think I got up my first try for about 10 seconds at least...it was a little touch and go for a while but with the help of the surf dudes we were all very successful and figured out how to ride some waves! We surfed for a few hours, then jumped in the freshwater lake right next to the water to rinse off. Some of the guys started launching people up in the air, I pulled a pretty sweet backflip! Lots of fun! Then we went back to our accomodations (really nice by the way! Joe definitely saved the best for last!), ate some lunch, and hit the beach!
(Drew you'll be really proud and jealous right now...) Once on the beach, Reid, Ashley and I started throwing a frisbee around. Both of them are on the Ultimate Frisbee teams at school, and actually I stopped sucking at throwing a frisbee and was doing really well by the end (I even learned how to throw it forehand!). Then I layed on the beach for a while reading my book, soaking up some sun...although it was a little overcast. Went back to the house, took an unintended nap, showered, and ate really good dinner made by some of our group! We had the luxury of a television and DVD player so we watched Wedding Crashers, such a good movie! Went out to get some late night ice cream, finished reading the 3rd Twilight book, and hit the sack. Very good day!
Today we woke up and went to another surf location and everyone did better today and I was catching waves on my own and riding them all the way into the beach! I have better balance on a surf board than I thought I would! I've spent the rest of the afternoon grabbing some lunch and shopping!
This trip has been absolutely fantastic. I've learned a lot about myself, especially how to get out of my comfort zone and try new things, and I've also learned that I'm a lot stronger and more determined than I thought. I've done some stuff that I really didn't think I was capable of, at least not capable of being as successful as I was, and it's been a real growing experience! (Plus the fact that the trip is in new zealand and australia really doesn't hurt either ;))
I'm ready to get home to see my family, friends, and especially my horse...but not quite ready for cold weather or classes, but that goes with the territory I suppose.
I feel like I've been here a really long time, but it also has gone SO fast...crazy!
Everyone should leave me some comments :) I'm curious as to who has been reading my blog! If you can't comment just shoot me an email... sauter.elizabeth@gmail.com
See a lot of you soon!
<3 Lizzie

2 comments:

  1. Comment..... Been loving your updates. Just to let you know, super jealous of some beach Frisbee. We'll have to throw once you get back. Interested playing on an indoor team second semester? We'll talk about that later. Now go make me more jealous of you and enjoy the sun and warm weather :P See you soon.

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are have a fantastic trip. Can't believe all the things you are experiencing. No way you would have done all these exciting thing if not for this trip.
    Looking forward to seeing you next week and learing more details and looking at all the pictures you took
    Dad

    ReplyDelete