Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and Bath

We took a very cool day trip today! First we went to Salisbury Cathedral-I slept most of the way up there as I still am not quite 100% after being sick. The cathedral was absolutely breathtaking. I had learned about it in my Humanities class in high school, but you can never fully appreciate or take in something until you see it in person. The architecture was unlike anything I have ever seen before and it was so gorgeous. It was very cool to actually see it in person. (photos to come). We also attended the mass in the church-which was one of the longest masses of my life (they sing every verse to every song.......) but it was a really interesting experience, and the location was so great I didn't mind the length.
We then drove about 1/2 an hour to Stonehenge (actually I probably learned about all three of these things in Humanities-thanks Doc. Wenzel!) which was pretty incredible, but we were on such a tight schedule we didn't stay long. It's actually almost harder to take in I think from up close than it is from a little more distance, which suprised me. A quick look-but I'm happy to have seen another of the wonders of the world :).
We then went to the Roman Bath in the city of Bath. The entire city definitely had a Roman feel indicative of the Roman empire's stronghold there. It is SO cool how they've been able to preserve the bath that was such a huge thing in the culture when England was part of the Roman Empire. There was a great audio tour that we had going throughout the museum which was a really neat way to learn about it at our own pace, rather than having to follow a tour guide or be completely on your own not knowing where to begin. I think Bath was definitely my favorite part of the day.
After a two and a half hour bus ride back to London (during which there was much fun had breaking into songs of our middle school days such as the Backstreet Boys, 'N Sync, Spice Girls, and others) we relaxed in our rooms, crammed a bunch of people into a hotel room to watch a movie, and now I came downstairs to internet for a bit and work on a critical response that I need to write.

1 comment:

  1. Ok I'm going to try this again-
    So very cool to read about what u are seeing- & loved the church comments!!
    Maggie is fine & spoiled(dog)
    Love u- mom

    ReplyDelete